Charles W. Phillips
- IU Southeast Chancellor's Medallion (1994)
- IU Southeast Chancellor's Medallion
Location: New Albany
Presenter: Leon Rand
BIOGRAPHYIn the summer of 2005, after almost 20 years of serving the citizens of Indiana, Charles Phillips entered into a well-deserved retirement. Charlie began his distinguished career in 1950 as an examiner with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, FDIC, where he dedicated himself to banking and bank supervision. In 1958, Charlie moved to New Albany to work as president of Floyd County Bank.
As a leader in his community for more than 25 years, he helped acquire land to establish the Indiana University Southeast campus in New Albany. For this achievement, Charlie was recognized with the Chancellor's Medallion for Distinguished Service.
In 1989, after a brief retirement, Charlie agreed to become the director of the Department of Financial Institution for Indiana. As director, he was responsible for promoting the modernization of the Indiana Financial Institutions Act, which addressed corporate governance, interstate branching, and payday lending reform. His commitment to encouraging employees to pursue continued professional development is among one of his greatest accomplishments.