Lindley H. Wagner
- School of Medicine Glenn W. Irwin, Jr. Distinguished Faculty Award (2015)
- BA '56, MD '59
BIOGRAPHYDr. Lindley H. Wagner received his undergraduate degree from Indiana University in 1956 and his Doctorate of Medicine from the Indiana University School of Medicine in 1959. He spent 30 years teaching and directing IU medical students on the Lafayette campus. His role in the late 1960s in medical education, the root of what is now a nine-campus system stretching across the state, began with three students at what was then dubbed the Lafayette Center for Medical Education. Three years later, Dr. Wagner was named assistant dean of education and the director of what is now the Indiana University School of Medicine-Lafayette, positions he would hold until his retirement in 1998.
Dr. Wagner was heavily involved in continuing medical education, including the 1972 founding of the Lafayette Medical Education Foundation, which he led for 25 years. For 28 years, until 1997, he acted as director of medical education at Lafayette Home Hospital and St. Elizabeth Medical Center, providing more than 4,800 hours of education to area physicians. From 1963 until 1974, he also oversaw his own private practice.