Distinguished Teaching Awards
The Committee on Distinguished Teaching Awards encourages nominations for the highest and most prestigious teaching awards that Indiana University offers. The purpose of the awards is to call attention to the importance of teaching as well as to recognize those who have demonstrated excellence in a wide range of pedagogical activities. Awards are presented at the Celebration of Distinguished Teaching, held each spring.
The names of award recipients who are regular faculty members are engraved on plaques in the Indiana Memorial Union. All recipients receive a cash award and a certificate.
Four teaching awards are granted to regular faculty members. Criteria are listed below.
- The Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award is available to tenured full-time faculty (or faculty holding an equivalent appointment in a continuing full-time position) who have taught for five or more years at Indiana University.
- The Herman Frederic Lieber Memorial Award is available to tenured full-time faculty (or equivalent) who have taught for five or more years at Indiana University.
- The Sylvia E. Bowman Award is given to faculty who focus on some area of American civilization. The committee will consider only tenured full-time faculty (or equivalent) who have taught for five or more years at Indiana University.
- The President's Award is available to all tenured full-time faculty (or equivalent)—and to all full-time lecturers and clinical rank faculty—who have taught for five or more years at Indiana University.
In addition, the following two teaching awards are granted:
- The Lieber Memorial Teaching Associate Award is available to outstanding teachers among the university's graduate students.
- The Part-Time Teaching Award calls attention to the importance of part-time teaching and recognizes part-time faculty who have demonstrated excellence.
Nominations may be made directly to the Committee on Distinguished Teaching Awards or be submitted through departmental chairs or deans.
Please submit a Distinguished Teaching nomination online no later than October 15, 2018. The committee does not consider visiting or emeritus faculty nor former University Distinguished Teaching Award recipients for these awards.