- IU Historical Marker (2020)
Indiana University dedicated a historical marker in 2020 about the Herron School of Art + Design. The marker text follows:
The Art Association of Indianapolis, with a bequest from local businessman John Herron, opened the Art School of the John Herron Art Institute in 1902 at the corner of 16th and Pennsylvania streets. The first core faculty included painters from the Hoosier Group, serving students mainly from Indiana. By the 1930s, recruitment of both students and faculty was national in scope, and the school received national accreditation in 1952. The Art Institute’s museum separated from the school in 1966, becoming the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 1970. In 1967, the IU Board of Trustees took over operation of the school under the name of the Herron School of Art of Indiana University. Upon the formation of IUPUI in 1969, Herron became one of its original schools. To better reflect its comprehensive programs, in 2004 it added ‘Design’ to its name. In 2005, following renovations and new construction, the school moved into Eskenazi Hall, the former location of the School of Law.