- Fulbright Award (1960)
John Pappas served on the faculty of the Department of French and Italian in the College of Arts and Sciences at IU Bloomington from 1956 to 1965. He started at IU as an assistant professor of French in 1956. In 1960, he was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to research at the University of Paris. He was promoted to associate professor in 1961, received tenure in 1963, and the title of full professor in 1964. Pappas left IU following the 1964-1965 academic year to accept a position at the University of Pennsylvania.