- Guggenheim Fellow (1964)
Hans Tischler joined the faculty at IU Bloomington in 1965 as professor of musicology in the Jacobs School of Music. He taught for 20 years at IU before retiring in 1985 with the title of professor emeritus of music. Tischler obtained his first Ph.D. in musicology from the University of Vienna in 1937, and his second from Yale University in 1942. His was the first Ph.D. to be granted in the field of musicology in the U.S. Before turning to teaching, he served in the U.S. Army during World War II (1943-1945). After the war, he served as the head of the music department at West Virginia Wesleyan College (1945-1947). He was then appointed associate professor of music at Roosevelt University (Chicago), where he taught for the next 18 years (1947-1965).
A musicologist and composer, Tischler specialized in medieval French music. He wrote 22 books and over 150 articles through support from grants from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Philosophical Society, the Chapelbrook Foundation, and the American Council of Learned Societies. He was honored with the naming of January 18, 2008, as Hans Tischler Day in Bloomington, Indiana, by then-Mayor Mark Kruzan.
Tischler founded the Chicago Chapter of the International Society of Contemporary Music in 1950. He and his wife, Alice, established the Hans and Alice B. Tischler Endowment in the IU Jacobs School of Music to be awarded to graduate students in musicology.
Tischler passed away on November 18, 2010, in Bloomington, Indiana.