- IU Foundation President's Medallion (2002)
- Distinguished Alumni Service Award (1989)
- Z.G. Clevenger Award (1988)
- School of Dentistry Distinguished Service Award (1987)
- School of Dentistry Honorary Member Award (1965)
Frank B. Jones began his affiliation with IU in 1942, coming to the university on a track grant-in-aid from Westfield High School in New Jersey. World War II interrupted his studies, and after four years in the Army Air Force, he returned to IU to complete his degree. Jones earned his B.S. in 1948; after graduation he became assistant track coach at IU and earned his M.S. in 1951 from Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis.
During that year he became alumni secretary, and in 1968 was named executive secretary of the IU Alumni Association. In 1982 Jones assumed the title of university director of alumni affairs. He retired from that poast in January 1987 to head the Big Ten Alumni Association's celebration of the 200th anniversary of the Northwest Ordinance.