About George F. Rapp
Since receiving his doctor of medicine degree from IU in 1957, Rapp has had a distinguished career as an orthopaedic surgeon in Indianapolis and has worked hard to assure that future doctors are given the opportunity to receive an outstanding education.
For 18 years, Rapp was chief of the IU School of Medicine's orthopaedic surgery residency program. He also made significant contributions to his profession through the design and development of artificial hips and advancements in the treatment of bone fractures. For 20 years, he served as director of the Scoliosis Clinic at Riley Hospital.
He played significant roles in the fund-raising efforts of the IU School of Medicine. He co-chaired the committee that raised funds for the George Garceau Professorship of Orthopaedic Surgery and, together with his wife, endowed the George and Peggy Rapp Professorship of Orthopaedic Surgery. In recognition of these efforts, he received the Spirit of Philanthropy Award from IUPUI in 1993.
He was given the Maynard K. Hine Medal in 1994 for his service to the Indianapolis campus, and the IU School of Medicine presented him with its Otis R. Bowen Leadership Award in 2000 for his service to the school. While serving his alma mater with distinction, he also found time to be active in the arts, scouting, his church and organizations dedicated to his New Harmony heritage. In 2002, he received the Distinguished Alumni Service Award from Indiana University.