- Honorary Degree (1837)
- Doctor of Divinity
- Bloomington, Indiana
- Presenter: Andrew Wylie
S. T. Sturtevant was born in England. He was involved for many years with the Baptist Church in the London area.
In 1813, Sturtevant became a founding member of the North-East London Auxiliary Bible Society. Later in 1827, he built Preston Chapel on the site of an ancient hall and allowed the Methodists the free use of it until his death, after which the organization purchased the church.
Sturtevant wrote two books, a two-volume magnum opus: Letters and Conversations in Preaching (1826), published in England and republished in British India and the U.S.; and The Preacher’s Manual (Letters and Conversations Volume 2, 1829). The Preacher’s Manual was republished in 1834, 1846, 1850, and 1855 and is currently sold print-on-demand. A surviving catalog lists his work as having been one of the books in IU’s library in 1842.
In early 1837, Sturtevant helped pass a motion for the Baptist Church to donate money to help the conditions of the Jewish people of London. He is elsewhere recorded as donating money to the relief of the poor.
Indiana College (now IU) awarded Sturtevant with an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 1837.
Sturtevant became pastor of Hare Street Chapel at Bethnal Green in London in 1841. He died in 1843.
Sturtevant had at least three sons, one of whom (Richard Lawrence) was born in 1790 and died as his “last surviving son” in 1852.
Sturtevant’s works continue to be quoted on church websites today.