- Bill Orwig Award (1976)
Cecil R. Coons was a life long resident of Columbus. He was born on May 7, 1916 the third of four brothers. His parents were Albert E. and Elsie Pearl Wiseman Coons. Mr. Coons attended Columbus schools and graduated from Columbus High School in 1933. Awarded a scholarship, he attended DePauw University where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1937 and later pursued graduate studies at Indiana University.
After college Cecil accepted a teaching position at Columbus High School teaching Social Studies from 1939 through 1941. At the onset of World War II he switched careers to the manufacturing sector and went to work for the Hamilton Manufacturing Company (later Cosco) and then Cummins Engine Company, where he spent 38 years in sales and purchasing. After retiring in 1980 from Cummins, he then worked part-time for several years at Brooks Brothers in Indianapolis.
Cecil was an avid sports fan and was actively involved with Indiana University athletics for many years beginning in 1954 when he became a charter member of the Indiana University Varsity Club. For over twenty years he served as president of the local organization. In 1975, he became the first recipient of the Bill Orwig Award for significant contributions to the IU athletic program.
Additional memberships included the First United Methodist Church and Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. He served as president in 1968 of the Harrison Lake Country Club where he was a charter member.