- Honorary Degree (1975)
- Doctor of Laws
- Richmond Campus Dedication
- Richmond, Indiana
- Presenter: John William Ryan
Brice Hayes was a philanthropist and civic leader who gave unselfishly of his time, expertise and resources. As president of the Hayes Foundation, Mr. Hayes co-chaired with Mr. Vivian the campaign of 1970 which raised $1.25 million for the establishment of IU East. Using the resources from the Hayes Foundation, Mr. Hayes contributed $1.00 for every ten dollars donated by the community which resulted in more than $120,000 being contributed by the Foundation. Mr. Hayes served as a member of the initial IU East Board of Advisors. He died in 1980.
A writer and industrialist, Mr. Hayes graduated from Oberlin College in 1929. Mr. Hayes served as president of several corporations including the Brice Hayes Company, Omnitronic Corporation and the Hayes Track Appliance Company. He headed the Stanley W. Hayes Research Foundation from 1963 until his death in 1980. Mr. Hayes held patents on optical devices for aligning railroad tracks and a shock-absorbing mechanism for stopping railroad cars.
During his presidency of the Hayes Research Foundation, the Hayes Arboretum was established, a facility free to anyone interested in natural history, botanical education and conservation. Active in civic affairs, Mr. Hayes served on several community boards including the Richmond Chamber of Commerce, a life member of the Society for the Preservation and Use of Resources, Richmond Symphony Orchestra, Richmond Art Association and the Earlham Cemetary.