- Maurer School of Law Academy of Law Alumni Fellows (2011)
For more than 65 years, K. Edwin Applegate has been a committed leader and public servant to the state of Indiana and to his country. A World War II veteran, he opened his first law firm in Bloomington in 1949 and retired from Applegate, McDonald and Associates in 2011. Applegate has a distinguished record of public service, serving from 1951-1958 as U.S. Commissioner, Southern District of Indiana; from 1958-1965 as Deputy Prosecutor for Monroe County and Municipal Judge for Bloomington; and in 1965 as a representative in the Indiana General Assembly, where he was primary author of the bill that established Ivy Tech Community College. In 1967, President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, a position he held until 1970.
Applegate has been an active civic leader, including serving as president of the IU Varsity Club and on numerous boards of directors in Bloomington and Monroe County. He graduated from Indiana University with a B.A. in 1946 and a J.D. in 1948. He was inducted into the Academy of Law Alumni Fellows in 2011.