- Bicentennial Medal (2021)
- Presidents Circle Laurel Pin (2013)
From a tight-knit family in Hammond, Indiana, Peggy Rapp chose Indiana University as her temporary home. She earned her B.S. in Education in 1956 and was active with Kappa Alpha Theta. It was at Indiana University that she met her future husband, George Rapp. They married in February of 1956.
She taught at School 61 in Eagledale, a western neighborhood of Indianapolis to support her husband who was in medical school. While they briefly moved to South Carolina, they re-established their residency back in Indiana where George established a private residency and later a spinal tool manufacturing company, SOFAMOR DANEK. While George taught orthopaedics in Kenya, Peggy took it upon herself to address additional needs for the students, making the accommodations more welcoming.
Their breadth and depth has impacted many communities and organizations. Peggy and George are active in New Harmony and have been board members of the Indiana Historical Society, Indianapolis Museum of Art (now known as Newfields), Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Heartland Truly Moving Pictures and Second Presbyterian Church, among other organizations.
At IU she has regularly attended the Colloquium for Women of IU. Alongside her husband, she has had showed strong support for schools such as the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, Herron School of Art & Design; departments including Orthopaedic Surgery and medicine; and other organizations like IU Athletics. For her generosity to the university, she was presented the Presidents Circle Laurel Pin in 2013.